Thursday 17 July 2014

THE OLD, OLD MAN

"I have no one but myself to fend for", he muttered whilst shifting his weight from one side to the other.  Looking off into the distance blankly he hesitantly continued, "That is why, the last time you saw me, I was standing right in the middle of the free way dodging vehicles. I like to try and see if I'd get killed. I only do that though after I have had a few drinks. I guess my time has not come yet but there is one thing am certain of and that is when I die, I won't be missed".

The above is part of a conversation I recently had with an old man down on the street. He sits in his corner oblivious to the world with his plastic of 'bettle nut' which is currently banned in Port Moresby. Like many other unemployed people in the city, selling the banned nut is his way of making ends meet. And because his younger years never yielded him any children, he has no obligations other than his own wellbeing to worry about that's why he spends the money he makes on the illegal grog better known as "steam".

Before we part, he tells me about his drinking partner, an old dog who's been his mate for so long now he can't remember where they first met. They still meet every so often nowadays to have a few drinks. I notice his eyes light up as he goes on to describe his well to do mate. He wears a huge grin on his face as he tells me of how his friend was fortunate enough to marry and have kids who now look after him. He raises his his chest and points to the buildings under construction down at the waterfront and tells me that his friend is still working there. I make a commitment to visit him again someday shake his hands and we parted ways.

As I walked away, I was searching for one good thing to take away from that conversation.  Despite his misery, he still found it in himself to celebrate the life of his friend. I decided to come home and paint his friend, only as I imagined him to be. Tomorrow I am planning to uphold my commitment and visit the old man thus I thought today,I'll share with you, "Friend of a friend of mine". He lives in my mind only because he has the power to light up the eyes of my tired and weary friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment